Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Okay let's see how much moss the stone can gather...

Under intense pressure and scrutiny from friends in the blogosphere, I have been compelled to start a blog. I actually had the idea for this blog a year ago- but as many great ideas go the way of the Spix's Macaw or the Pyrenean Ibex, I lost the will-power necessary to sustain, much less launch, a resource of any relevance.

So here we go... delving into a world of lawyers, government, and medicine (LGM). As Warren Zevon so penitently stated, "I'm the innocent bystander... Somehow I got stuck." Perhaps that sentiment is an all too common feeling for the majority of us who find ourselves amidst the complex health care system, navigating the disconnected and variable quality of care that isn't measured, reported, or transparent enough to be of any use to the average person.

It's not my intent to make this a medical malpractice blog. However, to the extent that med mal is relevant I think it's something worth discussing. What I hope this blog becomes... is a space for law, policy, and medicine to reconcile where there are serious disconnects. Too often, policies don't incentivize the best medicine and the legal system ends up being a back door remedy to compensate for a systematic failure as a result of poor policy and low quality care.

So let's try an experiment where we attempt to defy convention and demystify the mysterious. I'm hoping for an honest and open discussion where the issues facing our health care system can be solved through cooperation between policy makers, providers, and lawyers. Let's see where the road less traveled leads us...

1 comment:

Blu said...

I personally think that the US has a pretty kick-ass legal system (relatively). I don't think I would feel safer anywhere else. Just wanted to throw that out there before we begin :-)